Tuesday, June 24, 2014

How sins impact us - Pride

  Pride is an inwardly directed emotion that carries two common meanings. With a negative connotation, pride refers to an inflated sense of one's personal status or accomplishments, often used synonymously with hubris.  With a positive connotation, pride refers to a satisfied sense of attachment toward one's own or another's choices and actions, or toward a whole group of people, and is a product of praise, independent self-reflection, or a fulfilled feeling of belonging (Wikipedia).  

Since this blog is talking about sins, I will focus my energy on the negative connotation of the word pride.  Ever known people who's pride is everything to them?  Above their family, above their children, literally above all, including God?  They kill to protect their pride.  Lest they do not know that whatever it is they are proud of, whatever it is that has given them such pride comes from God. Yet who is not accusable of this sin?  I am egregiously guilty myself.  Not as much as I once was, but still guilty nonetheless.  What we have to remember is that when we start worshiping ourselves, money, status or position, we are walking away from God.  As in the state of worshiping these things, we create idol gods who cannot provide us with anything but shallowness and emptiness.  We are taken by ourselves and led away from what matters.
  
For God says; 'I designed you to enjoy Me above all else.  You find the deepest fulfillment of your heart in Me alone. Fearful, anxious thoughts melt away in the Light of My Presence.  When you turn away from Me, you are vulnerable to the darkness that is always at work in the world.  Don't be surprised how easily you sin when you forget to cling to My hand.'  


Interpreted from Psalm 62: 5-6 which reads:
"Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from Him.

Truly He is my rock and my salvation;

    He is my fortress, I will not be shaken."      
and also from Isaiah 41:10 which reads:
"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

Every single day I pray for humility as I know one of my greatest weakness is pride.  To me it's interesting to watch individuals who have lost everything they held most dear in this world, but have yet to lose their pride. With nothing left, they walk without humility and take what is given.  I wonder to myself if they thank God for what they are given out of selflessness by others.  As I've said before, surrender to God and you will be given His grace and His bounties.  For that is what one should be proud of!  The bible says;

'But He gives more grace.  Therefore He says: "God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble." Therefore submit to God.  Resist the devil and he will flee from you.  
Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up.'
James 4: 6-7, 10


I have read somewhere that a giving hand is better than a taking hand.  So give openly my people.  Do not hold onto your worldly wealth and do not take pride in it. As you are but a Sheppard, taking care of His world, His earth, His wealth, His belonging, and His people.  Whatever you have in this world, you cannot take with you to the next.  So then what makes you so proud?  Shouldn't the pride be His alone?  And if so, then shouldn't we bring praise to Him so that His name and His glory is placed above our own pride? Nothing we have is ours to keep.  What we have today could be gone tomorrow.  But God was, God is, and God forever will be.  Humble yourselves my dear friends.  As only humility brings us closer to what we need to be proud of; God's endless love for us!  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment