Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Humility vs. Self Promotion -

It's funny honestly.  How very easy it is to speak of others and say, "can you believe what they are doing?" or "do you see what they are all about?" or better yet, "I cannot believe how selfish so and so is..."

I have been doing what I can for the past year; to speak the truth about God, to preach humility, and to bring an understanding of the word of God to whoever I can. However while doing this, I remained unchanged myself.  It is so easy to get up on a soap box and tell others to lead better lives.  So very easy to pass judgement on them for their actions and choices.  Never to have to do a self evaluation. Never to look within for faults.  Never to search within for brokenness.  Why?  I am surely teaching the word of God to the lost aren't I?  Doesn't that automatically make me better? Don't I naturally belong in the Kingdom of Heaven.  Or am I like the pharisees of the time of Jesus Christ. May God have mercy on my soul, I sure hope I am not that bad....am I?        

It is said that the pharisees were the individuals who knew the laws of the Jewish religion and its traditions.  People sought their guidance on matters of principle and religious teachings.  The scripture has very harsh words for the pharisees.  It is written:

"Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples, “The scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses' seat, so do and observe whatever they tell you, but not the works they do. For they preach, but do not practice. They tie up heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on people's shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to move them with their finger. They do all their deeds to be seen by others..." 
Matthew 23:1-5 

As I just said, may God have mercy on my soul if I have acted as a pharisee.  I listen to the word of God in sermons every day, study the Bible, listen to worship music constantly, pray, and yes preach as often as I can.  Now that doesn't sound bad, does it?  No, but alongside all these noble things, I have sadly been self promoting.  I have been so fused over material things.  So vexed by finances and inconsequential worldly troubles.  So bogged down by my own self worth and physical appearance that I did not even realize how it's impacting me as well as those around me.  What's funny is that I speak of hypocrisy, whilst being a hypocrite myself.  I myself must remember that God says: 

"Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time He may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on Him, because He cares for you."
1 Peter 5:7

"No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money"
Matthew 6:24

"For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”
Luke 14:11

So today I vow to live the life I preach.  It all starts with ourselves folks.  How am I to convince others not to put their hands in the fire, when I have done so repeatedly.  I vow to not only talk the talk, but walk the walk as well.  Therefore my gracious readers (all two of you...) I will stand firm in my faith and know that I am no longer a hypocrite.  I am the daughter of God.  The One who created me.  He the creator of the heavens and the earth.  He who knows me by name.  He has a purpose for me in this lifetime, and I aim to fulfill that purpose.  Though I yet not know what it is, I shall humble myself in His presence and seek His mercy, forgiveness and guidance through my new path.  For God is not an option, He is a necessity.

May He forgive me for my wrongdoings and allow me to follow in the footsteps of those He is pleased with.  In His mighty name I pray.  Amen!    




No comments:

Post a Comment